Monday, November 10, 2008

Everyday an Adventure

Usually, when you have a five-hour long class that gets cancelled, it is the most exciting thing for the day.  Today it wasn't even close.  

Topher has been having a rough go of things at night lately, waking up with blood curdling screams every few hours (Megan figures he thinks he's being chased by terrorists).  At the 6:00 freakout this morning, we all ended up downstairs.  Megan and Topher eventually fell asleep on the couch, but I was wide awake.  I got on my computer but soon heard a noise coming from underneath the sink.  I quickly deduced what it was:

Mice love rigatoni.  Especially 2 month old, peanut butter filled rigatoni.

After our last mouse sighting, we bought a "Mouse Cube." It's a small plastic box that lets mice in, but then they can't get out.  I took him outside quietly (Megan had no need to be awoken to a mouse in the house) and released him into the wild (i.e next to the gazebo). He actually turned out to be pretty cute, though not as cute as this:

Yes... his cheeks are full of nuts.

We thought the excitement was over for the day.  Unfortunately, Megan then saw what was reported to be the hugest spider she'd ever seen.  I tried to hunt it down, but to no avail.  It was fortunate that my class was cancelled, because she then refused to go downstairs without me.

We again thought that the excitement was done for the day, only to hear some sounds coming from under the sink again.

"Whatever happens Peanut Butter Covered Crouton, I won't let go."

It was a different mouse this time, even cuter than the first.  The cuteness only lasted so long when I let him go outside and he immediately turned on me. I escaped and got a better picture of him:

Wanted for attempted murder.

In other news, Megan made an experiment of putting Topher in the bouncer that his Aunt Kelli and Uncle Jarom gave us (thanks guys) so that she could take a shower.  It worked like a charm, except we had to add a towel to keep him from folding over sideways.


Now if it could just keep his pants from climbing up to his armpits, everything would be perfect.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad the bouncer seat is coming in handy! When Anika was little we got her the cheapest swing we could find. It wasn't battery operated it had a hand crank.

Anyway, it was my salvation for the first 7 months! I loved it! If she was fussy I would crank the swing up and send her on a ride. She would usually be out of it before I needed to crank it up again. She especially loved it when she was in a bad mood. It may be worth giving it a try, for your sanity!

That's too bad about the mice and spiders. You are waaaayyyy nicer than me. Off with their heads!

Kari said...

My sis-in-law let us borrow a swing when Will was little. It was the only way I got anything done, including a shower, those first couple of months. Those are some cute critters you have, excluding the spider which I'm guessing wasn't cute. When I was growing up my dad would catch mice in a jar and put the lid on, set it outside and wait for them to die. My sisters and I would always sneak out and let the mice escape. I don't think my dad ever figured out what kept happening to them.

Courtney said...

Um, you know that mice carry hantavirus and junk like that right? You really should kill any of them that come into your house and get caught because if they are smart enough to get in once, they'll get in again. If you want to know an easy way to kill them let me know. Sorry, it's the farm girl in me coming out, but you know.

All little boys have to go through the pants crawling up stage. It's part of the 'I look like a little old man' phase they go through. ;)

Oh, the chipmunk is really cute, btw.