Last night we made a few breakthroughs with Topher. He's been rather fussy lately and Megan and I were approaching wit's end. I found that I could calm him by lifting him up and down for a few minutes, but this quickly tired my arms out and got "Magic Dance" from Labyrinth stuck in my head for the next few hours (Don't be surprised if another music video shows up here). It was a good way to give Megan a chance to shower, but it was no long-term solution. We started reading and discovered he had some pretty painful gas. Apparently the answer to David Bowie's question "What kind of magic spell to use?" is Mylicon Gas Relief drops.
While this reduced Topher's fussiness significantly, we still weren't able to get him to sleep without feeding. While this might not seem like that big of a problem, Topher sometimes wakes up when he is still full and feeding him only makes him angrier. At one of these moments last night I took him and bounced him around to get him to calm down. For whatever reason, I started singing "The Gambler" to him and it put him right out.

Thank you Kenny Rogers, wherever you are.
We're hoping this signals a new era of keeping Topher relaxed. We're also hoping he doesn't grow up to be a compulsive gambler.
In mouse news. After my last post, the onslaught continued.

The next mouse we caught was pretty cute, but not as cute as this:

He's cheeks aren't full of nuts, just love.
It was when this little fellow
showed up that I knew we had to do something. I'm pretty sure that he was mouse number 2 from the previous post. We ramped up our defenses and started taking the mice out and putting them in our dumpster (which I believe is something like Rodent Heaven). Unfortunately, I later discovered that a large hole had rusted out of the bottom of said dumpster.
After a few days of averaging two mice per day without hearing back from our landlords, I took matters into my own hands. I stopped by a local hardware store and picked up some metal reinforced wall patching kits and a roll of pro strength duct tape and went to town.
It's not the prettiest repair job ever, but it has apparently done the job. We haven't seen another mouse since then. Most importantly, nobody had to die.
-Quick Note: While writing this post, Topher started fussing again. Guess what put him to sleep:

Well, you get the idea.


4 comments:
I'm glad you found something that helped Topher. And I can totally relate to the kid that won't fall asleep unless eating. I'm glad Kenny came to your rescue. Maybe I should have tried that before ending up with a baby in my bed. I wonder if it would work on a three year old?
Whatever happens, do not sing "Coward of the County". Topher might grow up to be a compulsive gambler, but we don't want him to be a lily livered one.
It's hilarious that Kenny Rogers puts him to sleep!
Topher is such a cute little guy. The best part about blogs is being able to keep up with friends that you don't talk to on a regular basis. I sing to Madelyn to get her to sleep as well, although I prefer Primary songs. But if Kenny Rogers works, so be it.
Post a Comment